Senior Data Engineer
A bit about Field
To reach Net Zero, we need to solve big challenges - like how to store energy, solve grid intermittency, and heat our homes without fossil fuels. And, if we’re going to prevent climate catastrophe, we need to do this now. Field will fund, build and run the renewable infrastructure we need to tackle these challenges.
We’re starting with energy storage, with a portfolio of batteries in the UK. Battery storage is critical to the future success of renewable energy in the UK and beyond. It will allow us to store renewable energy for when it's needed, creating a more reliable, flexible and green grid.
We need to massively accelerate the installation of battery assets. Field will show that batteries are a totally viable part of our energy infrastructure - now, not in some distant future. And, we have ambitious plans to become the leading energy storage player in the UK over the next few years.
Our founder is Amit Gudka, who previously co-founded Bulb, now one of the UK's biggest green energy suppliers.
Field is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to help build our data infrastructure from the ground up. This role is critical to Field’s mission. We are at the beginning of our journey so you will find no legacy systems requiring maintenance; this is an opportunity to shape a brand-new data infrastructure. You will primarily be working with the Head of Analysis (Simon) and Lead Data Scientist (Andreas), as well as software engineers that will join us in the future.
Our current stack includes AWS ECS (Fargate), Glue, Prefect that allows us to ingest data needed for analysis and persist raw and intermediate data in our s3 data lake which we can query with Athena. We need someone to challenge it, improve it and build on top of it. In addition, you will be critical in defining our MLOps function for training, deploying, logging and backtesting ML models.
Below is an overview of the main responsibilities. However, we will grow rapidly and so will your responsibilities, so this is by no means an exhaustive list. There will always be room to grow and learn.
1/ Data architecture design
- Refinement/design of our s3 data lakehouse
- Assessment of our needs and selection of a data warehouse provider (e.g. Snowflake, Redshift)
- Design of data models and scheduling of jobs to update tables (e.g. using dbt)
- Upskilling of team members in how to access and consume data
2/ Ingestion of data from our assets
- Development of systems for ingestion of sub-second data points from across our assets
- Work with our vendors to find the best way to stream/batch load this data into our lakehouse
3/ Asset simulation environment
- Contribution to building our battery optimisation simulation environment (initially in shadow mode)
- Adaptation of data flows to ensure ingestion of new market data once they become available
- Capture of analytics metadata, including what data was available to our models every time the optimiser runs
4/ MLOps (shared with Lead Data Scientist)
- Contribution to our infrastructure for versioning data and ML models
- Scheduling of model training jobs
- Capture of data to allow backtesting and interrogation of models
5/ Data visualisation
- Assessment of our needs and selection of the most appropriate tool (e.g. Looker)
- Models design for the preferred tool on top of our data warehouse
- Training of Field team in model creation and building dashboards/reports
Note: this is not a BI role
A bit about you:
- Enthusiasm and curiosity about the energy storage industry
- Drive and self-motivation, a strong eye for detail and good analytical skills
- Humble and hands-on team player, necessary in a small company environment
- Ability to work well with others at all levels, including senior management
- Ability to work to tight timescales and deadlines
- Ability to multitask, manage time effectively, and plan across multiple initiatives
- Great communicator that enjoys both up-skilling team members and learning from them
Experience and skills we look for:
- > 3 years of data engineering experience
- Very strong in python and version control
- Data warehouse design and maintenance experience
- Building, testing and deploying containerised pipelines
- A solid understanding of data modelling
- Cloud experience
- Strong SQL skills
Nice to have:
- Experience with data automation tools like Prefect/Airflow
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code tools like Terraform
- Bonus points for MLOps experience or interest in it
Why join us?
- Genuine impact: You will actually be building and operating the renewable infrastructure we need to reach net zero. This is not a green CSR initiative, but a company that is taking a leading role in building one of the critical solutions to a generational problem.
- Make things happen: We are still an early stage start-up, and you will have significant accountability to make things happen from day 1. You will have a lot of autonomy, will learn quickly, and be given a LOT of room to grow.
- Define a new industry: The energy market is in a paradigm shift right now, evolving at a breathtaking pace, and you will play a leading role in defining how that market evolves and innovates over the next few years.
- Exceptional, diverse team: We are an eclectic team with varied backgrounds. We have experience scaling billion dollar tech start-ups, building energy companies, as well as deep specialisms in the energy markets. You will learn from and work with a bunch of fun, curious, and entrepreneurial people that really want to make an impact.
Diversity & inclusion:
Diverse teams make better teams. Field is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment which is as representative as possible of our society. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership pregnancy/maternity, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, political beliefs and sexual orientation.
- Competitive salary, benefits, and company share scheme
- Flexible working (London office in Second Home co-working space near Spitalfields)